On Wednesday, April 23, Hubspot hosted a webinar on The Secrets to Success on Social Media. Dan Zarrella, the Social Media Scientist at Hubspot, hosted the event and interviewed representatives from three major social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. The professionals shared valuable marketing strategies, and since the webinar was not recorded, I took notes and am here to present to you some of their tips and tricks.

1. Jed Clevenger, Head of SMB Channel Marketing at Facebook, emphasized the value of photos and revealed a number of ad targeting strategies.

  • Be sure to use bigger and better images for your company profile picture, cover photo, and posts. Use pictures that relate to your company and the material that you post.
  • Use direct response advertising for amazing audience targeting.
    • Jed explained that the biggest mistake that advertisers make is that they’re not human enough. Talk to people the way you would in person!
  • Use these four targeting strategies:
  • Conversion tracking allows for ad optimization; by using this tool, Facebook will only show an ad to people who are likely to click it and take action.

 

2. Twitter’s Senior SMB Director Russ Laraway explained the most effective ways to use hashtags, what types of topics to tweet about, and other marketing tips.

  • Twitter is basically your mobile website. Make your profile easily accessible so that people can find you.
  • Use photos to represent your business—“anything that complicates the look and feel of your business profile,” Russ says.
  • The 80/20 Rule: 80% of your content should not be focused on what you’re selling; this content should be informative (tips, practices, etc.). The other 20% should be focused on your product or service.
  • Offer some value when you use a hashtag, with the goal of getting a retweet.
    • Tweeting an image with a hashtag is quite powerful as well. For example, Chegg, an online textbook rental company, created images around the trending topic “#polarvortex”. The hashtag aligned with their company; at the time of the tweet, students were returning from their Winter Break.
  • Deliver a strong call to action that manages click expectations.
  • Do not include hastags or @mentions for direct response tweets, as these are distracting.

 

3. Scott Engelman, Head of Online Marketing at LinkedIn, highlighted ways to get the most out of your posts and audience. He also explained the importance of images.

  • Post “snackable content” for your audience—the best practices, industry trends, and tips relevant to your business.
  • Use sponsored updates to amplify your message and get in front of your exact target audience.
    • These also enable you to advertise in front of the tablet and mobile audience.
  • Post eye-catching images that are also professional.
    • For your company profile picture, pick a compelling image.
  • Invite people to follow your page.
  • In your posts, use key words/terms that people are searching for.

 

Host Dan Zarrella’s final thought:

“Testing marketing without data is like driving with your eyes closed.”